Saturday, April 18, 2015

The kindness of strangers

We left behind many friends in the US, and wondered how long it would take to meet new people we could trust. Not long, I tell you. Before we passed the driving test here and got out rental car, we walked all over the Air Force Base, to the tune of 10,000-15,000 steps per day. I’m usually very healthy, but between jet lag, so-so nutrition/digestion upset, and walking miles every day, I did not go to the mid-week soup supper & church service our first week here, even though I wanted to. It was a 40 minute walk each way and I had already walked over an hour earlier in the day. Jeff had gotten a ride to work that day, so he walked to the chapel, and came back shortly thereafter with a very kind person to give me a ride to the service. I couldn’t believe it! Another couple gave us a ride home after the service. Wow! I don’t know if I’ve ever gone out of my way like that to be nice to someone else, but it’s at the top of my list of priorities now!
One of our cats on the wall between our back yard and the town meadow
Jeff’s cell phone fell out of his pocket while walking down the street to meet with our new landlord/landlady. He obviously didn’t realize it at the time, but after the meeting, we searched the house, car, and sidewalk for 2 hours looking for the phone. Several hours later, my phone received a call from the person who found the phone, and we were reunited with Jeff’s iphone. What a wonderful neighborhood we have moved to!!! Oh, and our landlord gave us an Easter basked complete with chocolates and 3 cans of German cat food!!!
Sunset behind our carport & tool shed

I have been disappointed that several yoga classes at the base gym were cancelled, but something good came of that, too. I had planned to go to Tuesday evening yoga and then Thursday morning Bible study. When the Tuesday yoga was cancelled, I decided to go to the Tuesday evening Bible study instead. I was warmly welcomed, and when the group heard we were newly-arrived, one person said “my colleague is moving away and the house will be available”, and another person said “my office is hiring a social worker, do you want a job?” Um, yes, please? Guess where we are living? Guess where I got a job?
Come on over and relax on our glassed-in porch
When have you been supported or encouraged by a stranger?

2 comments:

  1. Have you forgotten all the countless rides you gave a carless college student back in Boston? I sure haven't. You gave me many rides over the years and I still remember your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww, thanks...if this was FB, I'd link to Art K, who always gave me & other students rides, too. Maybe I got more protective of my time over the years when I was working, commuting & stressed out. xoxo

      Delete